Sacred Heart Catholic School is a college preparatory school and supports students’ dreams for their future. At the high school, college preparation begins in the seventh grade with resources for test prep, college finances, advanced placement (AP) and collegiate course offerings. Since the high school reopened in 2007, Sacred Heart graduates have earned scholarships and attended prestigious colleges and universities. The list includes, but is not limited to, Harvard, Sewanee, DUKE University, Berkeley University of California, University of North Carolina: Chapel Hill, Wellesley College, Vanderbilt University, and all local, state private & public schools (see image below for additional institutions of higher learning).
Voted Best of the Pine Belt in 2021, Sacred Heart Catholic School focuses on four key pillars of success: Academics, Fine Arts, Athletics and Faith-Based Education. Here are some highlights from the 2021-2022 academic year:
Academic Excellence Since 1900
- Compared to national statistics, Sacred Heart has 13% more students scoring 30+ on the ACT. The school’s average ACT is a 25.7.
- Sacred Heart consistently graduates several National Merit Scholarship Recipients. Since 2007, the school has 18 scholarship award recipients and 11 finalists. This current academic year, two students received this highest national academic honor: Christina Danford, Finalist, and Caroline Batson, Commended Scholar.
- Christina Danford was nominated for the U.S. Presidential Scholar and recognized as Sacred Heart’s Mississippi STAR Student.
- Beau Hinton and Bianca Fernandez won local VFW Post 3036 Voice of Democracy Essay Contest while Hinton won district.
- Juniors, Klaire Bennett and Ameze Ekunwe, were inducted into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society by earning a 3.5 GPA or higher through the Middle College Program at Sacred Heart.
- Junior, Ameze Ekunwe, received the Pearl River Community College Sociology Award. This award is given to the best performing student in the sociology department. This award is given not only to someone who has the highest grade, but someone who shows deep interest in the subject and is eager to learn.
Crusaders Excel Outside of the Classroom
- 2021-2022 State Champs in Mock Trial...13 State Championships in the last 14 years.
- Sacred Heart Percussion won “best musical act” in the 2021 Hattiesburg Halloween Parade.
- 2022 Mississippi Distinguished Young Woman is senior Christina Danford
- Most school participants in the Hattiesburg Mayor’s Youth Council
- State of Mississippi Senate Page
- Senior named to Biloxi Diocese Youth Ministry Search Team
- 2023 Forrest County Distinguished Young Woman is Maura McLaughlin
Student Athletes Excel and Advance to Collegiate Levels
- 2021 Bishop Bell Champions in Crusader Football
- 2021 South State Champions in Crusader Volleyball
- 2021 Pine Belt Sports Player of the Year
- Senior, Luke Wiest, hit 1,000 points during the 2021-2022 Crusader Basketball season.
- 5th & 6th Grade Catholic Youth Organization Basketball Team placed 2nd at State competition.
- Five senior athletes have signed with collegiate athletics: Millsaps College for Football, Pearl River Community College for Cheerleading, University of Southern Carolina for Women’s Soccer, U.S. Naval Academic for Women’s Tennis, and William Carey for Women’s Golf.
- 2022 State Champions in Tennis
- 2022 State Individual Champion in Tennis for Christina Danford
- 2022 State Champions in Women's Golf
- Pre-Kindergarten faculty, Lynette Villarreal, WDAM Golden Apple Award recipient for teaching.
- Junior High Science faculty, Michael Hogan, won WDAM Golden Apple Award recipient for teaching.
- 5th & 6th Grade Social Studies faculty, Theresa Moore, won the 2021 Teacher of the Year by the Mississippi Historical Society.
- High School STEM faculty, Donna Wilson, recognized as Sacred Heart’s Mississippi STAR Teacher.
- Dr. Erin Lambert Dornan, director of advancement, named Top 20 Under 40 in the Pine Belt.
- Ms. Olivia Drinkwater received the Arts Institute of Mississippi (AIM) at Southern Miss award. This award salutes accomplishments of outstanding high school level arts teachers, schools, and/or organizations that are making an impact through exemplary achievements in arts education throughout the state of Mississippi.