The History of Sacred Heart Catholic School
Founded in 1900, Sacred Heart Catholic School provides the highest standards of education by encouraging the students to develop to their fullest potential academically, spiritually, and physically. In October 1900, the “doors” of Sacred Heart School opened for the first time. Under the direction of Father Gremiel, pastor, and Miss Anne Gremiel, Principal, thirty-five students were enrolled. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in September of 1902, and faithfully continued their role in Catholic education until 1986. The Marianite Sisters of Holy Cross joined the Sacred Heart faculty for the 1989-1990 school year. From 2000 to 2008, Dr. Maribeth Andereck served as Principal to continue the mission of meeting the educational needs of the students of Sacred Heart School.
In 2004, Bishop Thomas Rodi approved plans to begin adding high school grades to the school. Sacred Heart parishioners showed their support for the opening of the high school by giving the Parish Center to the school for 9th and 10th grade classroom space. Classes for 7th and 8th grade students were held across the street at the facilities of Court Street United Methodist Church.
Father Ken Ramón-Landry became the pastor in the summer of 2006. Through the Catholic Diocese of Biloxi’s “Pride in the Past, Committed to the Future” capital campaign, the entire elementary school building was renovated, a new cafeteria was built, and an eight-classroom modular building was added in 2007. For three years, 7th through 12th grades met in the modular high school building. Upon Dr. Andereck’s retirement in June 2008, Mr. Brian McCrory became Principal, and Ms. Vicki Flanagan became Assistant Principal.
On June 8, 2010, the Hattiesburg City Council approved the lease-purchase of the former First Baptist Church building at 510 West Pine Street to Sacred Heart Catholic School. This 90,000 square foot building is now Sacred Heart High School, housing the 7th through 12th grades. This historic event allowed our elementary to grow and expand into the space once used by the high school.
We at Sacred Heart are proud of our past, we are proud of our community, and we are proud to be a part of an exciting future God has given us.